Skip to main content

Why I love FUNderwear (and how to get hold of it in extended sizes)


Lots of people use lingerie as a way of expressing their sexuality. And that's great - power to them. This post is not negatively framing those people's choices in any way, but about my alternative perspective.

Three pairs of underpants, two with Disney designs on them, one with a dinosaur print, laid out on a bed.
Apologies for the poor photo, my phone is broken so I had to make do with an old camera.

Ever since I went through puberty I have been told that my body, and other womens' bodies, are
inherently sexual, just because they exist in the "female" subcategory. A man can make jokes about nudity, his genitals, even masturbation and they are generally well received because the context of these remarks is humorous. If a woman tries the same thing, the reception is never quite the same because people will always colour her comments with sexuality. Of course, the level of this will depend on the woman's race, age, gender expression, size, whether they're disabled or not, trans status, and multiple other things. But it never goes away entirely.
Me wearing a Comexim Graffiti, a longline bra with a graffiti print
Full review of this bra here!

And some of it has permeated my attitude to my body. It's a very personal manifestation of the male gaze, and I just don't like it. It's made me feel like my body is less a continuation of my being, my way of interacting with the world, and more of a separate entity, occupied by me but belonging to someone else.

I want to reclaim my body as my own hunk of flesh. I want to appreciate it, laugh with it, and own it once more. And that's where funderwear comes in.

Funderwear is simply underwear that eschews sexy and embraces whimsy. It's a party in your pants. I find wearing it so liberating and I can't get enough of it.

A Ewa Michalak model looking happy as she jumps in the air with an umbrella
Ewa Michalak have really been outdoing themselves lately when it comes to fun photoshoots!
Why is this? Well I think it's because sexy always comes with rules. Rules about your body, rules about your behaviour. Many people work hard to break these rules but I think they're still hanging around in the backs of everyone's minds, because societal conditioning is so pervasive. Wearing something that is not there to be sexy means you can discard those toxic feelings.

There's also a lot of seriousness and strong emotions surrounding women's bodies, funderwear just lets you know that not everything in life has to be intensely studied, your body is allowed to just be.

Besides, it always feels great to be wearing Batman knickers.

"Well, I'm sold. Where can I buy this funderwear?" I hear you ask

Fun bras in extended sizes can be found here: 

 

Ewa Michalak's models always look like they're having a good time - and their bras do too! I particularly love the Gazeta from 2013, I hope they bring out some more striking designs like this in the future.

While some of Comexim's bras are more traditional, they're definitely not afraid to break out a couple of wacky prints every season.

Elomi is one of the most adventurous brands of the large cup/large band category - loving the Moonlit Half Cup!

Sculptresse is not afraid to rock it with hot pink animal prints from time to time!

Cleo are primarily aimed at younger people, so some of their designs are great fun. 

Wellfitting have a glossy silver bra, a cat bra AND a UNICORN BRA - what's not to love?

Kinga may seem like a regular, large cup Polish brand, but they have this adorable cupcake bra hiding a couple of pages into their website!

And knickers/panties/whatever you want to call them can be found here:

 

Topshop are a great source of funderwear - their best designs being in the boypant section. Their range of gaudy joy has been scaled back a lot recently, but you can still find some great knickers both instore and online. let's hope the range makes more of a comeback!

Harebrained sell some hilarious and comfortable looking period pants! I don't even menstruate but I still want to buy a pair of these one day.

Hot Topic is great if you want to unleash your inner fangirl/boy/kid!

BonesLingerie on Etsy definitely err on the side of gothic, but I adore the look of their high waisted briefs. They also have lots of bralettes!

Tomboyx have so many fun designs (love the toucan!) and in a range of different cuts. My favourite has got to be their octopus print (and they also have lots of rainbow designs so you can put some pride in your pants)

HappySocks have great prints - particularly their geometric designs

MeUndies - as soon as you visit their website, you know you're in for a fun time. They've got gorgeous prints in a range of cuts, mismatched patches of colours, and one style even gives a small donation to the Los Angeles LGBT centre.

Torrid are an amazing source of fun, plus size knickers!

Other Resources:


The Breast Life also did a post about novelty print underwear - it includes sleepwear too so check it out!

What do you think about Funderwear? Are there any brands that I've missed?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rib Cages and Bra Fitting - a Masterpost

I've realised that while there are titbits (pun intended) of information about how rib Cages can affect bra fit floating around, it's never been collated into one easy to access article. So I've tried to do that: most of the information in this post is credited to other hardworking bloggers, please check out the credits at the end to support their work! Also big thanks to my sister for the lovely diagrams. 1. Rib Cage Shapes (horizontally) There are two basic types of rib cross-sections to consider in relation to bra fitting, disregarding the sternum (we'll get onto the breastbone later): Flat vs Barrel Shaped Ribs   Flat ribs (left) - the most common rib cage shape   Barrel shaped ribs (right) - more rounded than the average rib cage shape Most bras are designed to fit best on flat ribs. If you have barrel shaped ribs , the cups of a bra may tilt outwards, meaning that you need more depth in the centre than fullness tests suggest. Wires may dig in at any point (the g...

The Gender Pay Gap - how do large British lingerie companies compare?

What is the gender pay gap? "The gender pay gap is the difference in the average hourly wage of all men and women across a workforce. If women do more of the less well paid jobs within an organisation than men, the gender pay gap is usually bigger. The gender pay gap is not the same as unequal pay which is paying men and women differently for performing the same (or similar) work. Unequal pay has been unlawful since 1970" - Gender Pay Gap Service Due to recent legislation, all employers with 250 or more employees must calculate and publish (among other things), their mean and median gender pay gaps. This has recently come into effect with April 2018 being the first time private companies have been forced to publish this data. I have taken the opportunity to go through the reports of lingerie companies and compare them by category so you can find out what these gender pay gaps are, how they compare across companies, and what each individual company has to say about it. That...

Disappointing Beauty - Cleo Piper Review in 28H

I feel like The Rock adequately sums up my feelings about this bra. I've waited for this bra for 9 months. That's how long it takes for a human to be made. From its first preview in Bras and Body Image's Cleo AW16 Preview post , my eye was caught. I must have this bra, I thought to myself. 9 months later and sadly, it was not to be. An admirable effort on Cleo's part - an unpadded longline up to a J cup? Brilliant, sign me up! Sadly it only goes up to an H cup in 28 bands but it's more than most longlines which tend to top out at G. I bought this from Bravissimo at a price of £30, though it is stocked in tons of places. Design: I usually think bows on bras are kind of overdone, but the colour makes this one stand out. I love how this bra looks. The cobalt blue will always be a favourite of mine, and I love the lime green accents. Sorry for the soft focus on this one! My phone (yes I take these pics with my phone) wasn't cooperating that day... I adore the lace t...